Borrowing, renewing and reserving items
Borrowing Books is Free
Use our city libraries or My Library account to choose from
- adult and children’s fiction books
- adult and children’s non-fiction books
- Quick Choice popular titles currently in the news and media
At certain libraries you will also find
- lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender collections
- rare books and special collections, membership required
- music scores
- local history studies for loan and reference
- essential skills collections
- careers and job seekers reference resources
Borrowing DVDs, CDs and Audio Books
We make a small charge for borrowing
- audio books
- printing and photocopying
- language courses
You can use your library card to hire these items or you can pay for an audio-visual subscription card giving you huge savings on all audio-visual material.
With a Full Adult Membership you can borrow up to a maximum of
40 items in total, up to 8 of which may be audio-visual
You have access to all online resources
and access to public computers
With Basic Membership, Adults and Children can borrow up to
Six books at any one time
You can borrow the items for
- Books and audio books 3 weeks
- Language courses 3 weeks
- DVDs 1 week
- CDs 1 week
Items can be renewed up to 3 times, all items can be renewed providing nobody else has reserved them.
If you renew chargeable items you will pay a further hire charge each time you renew.
You can renew in any of these ways
- Online: membership card number and PIN required
- In person at any library: membership card number required
- by telephone: membership card number required
- automated 24 hour renewals on 0303 123 0035: membership card number and PIN required
If you experience any difficulty renewing items online please contact us.
You can reserve any item in person at a library or online
There is a small charge for making reservations which is payable on collection of the item. We will notify you when the item is in stock either by post or email. To collect the item, bring your library card and the reservation notification with you.
Overdue items are subject to fines.
Information about library services for those who have difficulty getting to the library
Back to top